March 01, 2006

chaos, ceilidhs and cameras

Good news. Got an official email from HM (her majesty) Customs saying my parcel has been released and cleared of all charges. Excellent, my drugs should be here in a few days...

Island News: this past weekend feature a series of 'farewell' parties for various SNH employees. It was kind of depressing as Monday and Tuesday rolled around, and everyone boarded their respective ferries, but the events of Friday and Saturday more than made up for it. Let's start with Friday... um... can't remember... move on to Saturday (Mum - not another word about 'my liver' ;)

Saturday was the main event. A traditional live band was brought over to play tunes like 'the canadian barn dance' and 'stripping the willow'. You'll be happy to know that my trousers remained intact for the entire night, which, as I will explain shortly, is somewhat of a miracle. After about 2 hrs of stuffing our face with Norman's finest curries and indian breads, a bunch of us decided it would be a great time to have a wrestling match on the hall floor. I think it started between Niall and his older brother, but regardless, it quickly snowballed into the funniest thing I've seen in some time. For about 40 minutes, 10 of us tackled, tripped, dropped, flopped and rolled each on the floor. All smiles mind you... I don't know what hurt more, the laughing or the bruises. It certainly got the blood flowing, and the influx of female participants was an added incentive ;)

After we've had enough of that, or enough of the bewildered stares from everyone else, it was back to regular shop activities. I think I spent a little time 'resting' in the soft play area (for the kids... filled with mats etc) but quickly came back around. I believe the night ended with all of us cramming into the castle common room for conversation, more live music and various other things. What a 'crackin' night.

For all you interested in music, here's a list of some of the stuff I've been exposed to recently and enjoy:

Croft # 5: awesome... blends celtic with world and rock music
Alabama 3: umm... kind of electronic/rock/folk, one of my new favourites ('Outlaw' album)
Asian Dub Foundation: weird, worldy feel, nice
The Coral: indie rock band from Liverpool (courtesy of Annie)
Beatbog Faeries: celtic
Goldfrapp: good music to dance to in the shop

Music to avoid like the plague (but played to the point of abuse on BBC Radio 1):

Arctic Monkies
Kazier Chiefs
James Blunt

More to come later this week. The weather here is crap (by Scottish standards) and we've been recalled into the village to avoid being snowed in. There is all of 2 inches on the ground... in the shade. But hey... who am I to complain? a warm bed and shower never hurt me.

ps. remind me to tell you all about BBC Radio 1 and 'Laura's Diary' and the 'Flirt Divert Number'... these two snipets are the highlights of our days down at Harris.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home