January 14, 2006

Still game

Bought my ticket to Mallaig today... online, as I was too lazy to make it to the station in person. This morning I finally got a UK bank account, although it's not going to help me much as there are no debit machines on Rum (they only accept cheque and unfortunately my account is a limited one). Last night was great fun - myself, George and Yvonne went to a hall for a party. A son of one of their friends is going to University in the States, and the night was an effort to alleviate the financial burden (raised over £1100). Maybe I should look into something similar ;)
My week is as follows: train to Mallaig on monday (traveling over that massive viaduct featured in the Harry Potter films), a night in a coastal B&B, then the ferry Tuesday morning to Rum. Annie and I have been invited a PHd Student's house on Rum for dinner when we arrive. Tuesday night will be spent in the Castle in Kinloch, as we need to wait for someone to drive our stuff out to the bothy in a land rover (while one of us takes the quad across). I'm getting restless, and ready to go... all my dreams are Rum based (the island, not the booze). I started a great book (Glencoe) about the infamous Glencoe massacres and it's providing me with a nice overview of Highland history... or at least the more bloody conflicts of the region. My broadsword is on order at Tescos.

I'll post one more before I head out... I'm thinking of you all back home :)


3 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

there's nothing wrong with HP books, and it gives you a fantastic 'in' with the ladies.

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd just stick to the good looks and the accent ;) Good to hear from you - I'm glad all is well. I'd echo previous comments - journals make for fabulous memories.
Miss you already!

12:10 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

I have 3 journals... one featuring a rather 'intimate' looking photo of myself and Jeff. It's too funny, and will definately surface at my wedding.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home