February 03, 2006

i'm back...

The internet service provider for Rum has gone tits up... so for the past week or so I've really been off the grid. Most of the island is still without a connection, but luckily the Reserve Office is on a different line and currently empty :)
Ok, the best way to do this is simply take it day by day since the last post... and it's been quite a journey!

Thursday: out to Harris via land rover with the Stalkers. Saddled up the ponies and headed off into the cuillens (mountains). It was and absolutely perfect day... not a cloud in the sky. All and all we were out for about 7 hrs, and when I finally made it back to the rover I was spent (and still hung over from the night before). But, it was the best decision I've made since coming here. I got to know more people (Portia, Karl, Marcel, John Alex) and people have a much better respect for you when you're actively involved (Leslie said there have been multiple nice comments about me since arriving ;)
That night we went to the shop for some pool, few beverages and live music. There are several people here from neighbouring Eigg to do some fence maintainence, and I've become quite chummy with them as we both stay at the castle.
Friday: out to Harris again with the stalkers. Not quite as nice as the day before, but it was cut short as both Portia's and Karl's radios were dead (forgot to charge them... a night in the shop will do that). Into town, enough time for a brief walk and an extremely long shower (if I could I would spend an hour or more in that cramped little stall). Back to the shop... lol... I see a theme here on Rum. Friday night was the best yet... live music (squeeze box, guitar and bohdren (sp?)). I managed to make a drumset out of the weigh scale, the counter, and box of lollies and two pencils. It did the job.
Saturday: hung over. Went for a walk out on the point to clear my head and purge my system. Another beautiful day. I could see Skye, Sleat, Malliag and the southern mainland. Sat on a chunk of rock in a sea-side ruined village for over an hour doing what I do best... thinking. Pure magic. Back to the castle and dragged (twist my rubber arm) into the shop by Kim, the other castle worker who I had just met. This time I upgraded my drumset to include glass candle holders that delivered a nice 'ping' when struck with the same pencils from before. Fliss broke out a Scottish whistle and I was hooked... I have subsequently learnt 'auld lange syne' on mine. I put on a clinic at the pool table (mind you Kim wasn't very good) and then retired for the evening.
Sunday: the day of rest. another walk, then out on to the tidal flats to collect some mussels for lunch. A good idea gone bad... there was so much sand in them I was spitting out baby 'pearls' with each one. Leslie maintains there are crabs out there, but I'll hold off on my sea floor scrounging until someone can help me.
Monday: back to Harris to collect wood and clean up the place, awaiting myself and Annie's return. Decided to walk back to Harris early afternoon to get some exercise. About halfway there I met Leslie on the quad!!! It was fixed, and she was coming down to get some goat pics. I happily continued on my way, content in the knowledge that tomorrow I could blast out to Harris on my own steam. So I thought. Monday was Stuart's Bday (a fencer) so it was back to the shop for some celebration (don't worry, my finances are holding out fine... beans cost 35p a tin, leaving quite a lot for other sources of calories ;)
Tuesday: at Leslies by 8:30 to age some goat horns she has in a box. It was quite cool. The actual exterior of the horn is like a sheath over a boney prominence. Asked her a few more general questions and started off back home. Stalled the quad twice (it had sat for way too long) and about 10 minutes after the second time the gear lever went again. Luckily I was in 2rd at the time and managed to nurse it to Harris. It has been fixed and broken (not by me) again since... and I think it needs a new clutch now, as the lever has pretty much stripped the inside.
Wednesday: a rather misty day cut short by the arrival of Beck, John Alex's dog, who takes great pleasure in chasing goats up the hills and back to the cliffs, making it impossible for us to do our job. Ah well... we went for a walk instead.
Thursday: great day. no rain, no clouds, it was all goats baby. there's only a few I don't know now, so it's much more satisfying out on the hills. I can do activity budgets and vigilance samples, then take breaks to complete my sketches of each goat (for accurate ID'ing in the future). Finished my book on Freemasonry and the birth of the Royal Society (a great read, thanks Erin!) and started The Blank Slate by Stephen Pinker (thanks Mary!). Also read a review paper on mental time travel in animals. A very productive day.
Friday: back in town. walked again (let Annie nurse the quad back) and had another long shower to warm up. Currently in the Reserve Office re-acquainting myself with the real world. This week will feature a CV clinic put on by Leslie (she doesn't know it yet) and scholarship applications.


i've said it before and i'll say it again... i love this place.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ian, it is great to hear that you are having such a great time - not only in your studies but socially also (imagine, YOU found drinking buddies already!).

I enjoy reading your posts and what adventures you are getting yourself into. I will try and update you on any I get myself into (albeit "G" rated, of course). Just got back from Mexico as Chris Alldread had his wedding ceremony down there on the beach. A very nice ceremony!

Until next time, be well.

Ryan

8:24 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

hey ian great to hear u aint sick of the sight of goats yet.just got my xbox 3260 n a noo need 4 speed game so i can whip ur ass when ur back over here.drunk again eh? sounds like u.Had a game today, we drew 1-1 with tranent and also hearts won yesterday 3-0 agasint aberdeen
anyway talk to you soon

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home