January 22, 2006

wow...

I wanted isolation, and that's exactly what I got :)

I'm safe and sound on the Isle of Rum. Got here tuesday afternoon and went to Harris Bay wednesday. The land rover is just barely able to make it over the track leading to my new home. We have a quad bike for trips back and forth but it's currently out of commission... Annie and I had a nice walk into town yesterday (2hrs, beautiful scenery).
The Bothy: rustic in every sense of the word. Four rooms (plus a kitchen and bathroom), wood floors (carpeted with 100 years of dirt and coal dust), and one fireplace. I sleep on a steel spring cot and read by candle light... I love it.
The first day was quite a shock, and I didn't get a wink of sleep as my mind was racing. But after walking around for several hours the next day I was good to go. The goats literally walk past the bothy each morning, so it's quite easy to track them. So far I've managed to learn the names of roughly 10... out of 70. Apparently it takes about 3 weeks to master it. Initially they were quite ugly brutes, but they've grown on me... and the little kids (about 12 of them) are adorable.
Friday was the best day I've had in a long time. The sun was shining, the sea was calm and I was at peace - I knew I made the right decision in coming here. Also, that night brought the first episode of uninterrupted sleep in over 2 years.
Last night I met the locals in the shop (10x10' store that somehow manages accomadate 20+ people, a counter, a fridge and all the islands food). Had my first taste of whiskey too - glenmorganie (?). meh... I don't see what all the fuss is about, I'll stick to my beer. I remember having a discussion with Sharon about evolution... she doesn't believe in it, rather, humans are unique and came from some sort of interplanetary mingling way back and the powers that be are keeping this knowledge from us. I kid you not. The conversation ended with me showing her my newest tatto and reaching for another beer. Played a few games of pool with Shuggy (just spelling it how it sounds) and then stumbled home to the castle.
I've heard that come march I may head out with the stalkers to do some researcher on other goat herds before they're culled (planting trees in that area). That means pletty of excercise and fresh air. Once the goats are killed I move in to take an ear (for DNA analysis) and kidneys (gauge body fat)... fun stuff :)

I may post another one this week when I pick up the vegetable order from town, if not... saturday for sure. Hope all is well back home, I think about everyone daily.

Ian

I'm going to enjoy this.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,

Glad to read this most recent posting. It's encouraging to hear that you feel you have made the right decision.
Hopefully once your camera arrives, you will be able to post some photos. I'm sure they will speak a thousand words.
Talk to you next Saturday, we hope.
Lots of love,
Mum

2:18 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

hey ian , sounds good over there but i have to say rather you than me . and it proves you are a total jinx to me lol yoou leave and i score 4 goals in 1 game , your definately not coming to another one lol anyway hope to speak to you soon

4:59 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

Once I get a board to place over the cot, I'll be set. Made some adjustments to my room to make it more like me; moved the gas light near the window instead of dead center in the room (?), added a table near the bed to hold candles for reading, and put a nice decorative name tag on the door (also made on for Annie). When she leaves tomorrow I'm going to do an extreme house makeover. I'd love to lay out under the stars, but that will have to wait until May. Tonight I'm going to have another go at whiskey, maybe with some water to taste ;)

cheers

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home