July 03, 2006

Phase One complete

The Rum Goat project is at an end. Friday was supposed to be our last day, but SNH decided to evict us a day early. Spent the weekend in the village getting rat-arsed with everyone for Kim's leaving ceilidh. It was sad to see her go but after seeing the stress of castle manager taking it's toll, I'm glad she gets a much needed vacation (sorry we missed the boat Kim!!!).

So what now you're asking? Well, after approximately 48hrs of being homeless and unemployed, I've landed on my feet. SNH has offered Annie and I positions with the stag cull. This means we get to stay on Rum (free of charge at Fortress Fraser) and make a rediculous amount of money. Things are looking up.

I just got in from my first day of work. We got two stags, filled in a bunch of holes in the road, then skinned the deer in the larder. All in all it was over 10hrs, and everyday is going to be the same. At the end of this, Annie and I are planning a trip to Eastern Europe to decompress and enjoy the fruits of our labour.

Coming to Scotland has been the best decision of my life. It's rekindled my love of the outdoors, friends, family and sense of community. I'm not going to lie, I'm the happiest I've been in many years. Annie and I have settled into a nice groove, yet everyday she manages to suprise me, usually reducing me to fits of laughter. We have electricity now, a beautiful sound system and constant access to fresh food.

more to come this week.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like your doing good man, nice to hear. Eastern Europe huh, not bad! I'm reading once in a while about your adventure. Drop me an email when you get a chance.

keep in touch

Tom J

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home