May 28, 2006

Business as usual

Tomorrow marks a full quarter century on this planet for yours truely. No big birthday plans, just a relative feast down at Harris and a few bottles of wine. Something is quite right though... Monday is a Bank Holiday, my birthday, and the only day of the week that we're doing work. Annie is off to Kilmory to help with the deer calving, and I'm back in the village to aid in the prep for Prince Charles and company. But I guess time is running out and a lot of data still needs collecting.

Got some good news from Fliss last night (and some drum sticks as a present)... I'm one step closer to working for SNH for the summer. The details will be sorted out this week, and I should know one way or another. Best case scenario: SNH writes a letter to the Home Office granting me a work permit. Second Best: SNH opts for self-employed ghillies and I work under the table. Worst: back to Edinburgh for the summer months. Can't really complain either way.

Also, heard a rumour that there may be some big ceilidhs in June... Croft No. Five may be back as well as others. And... it's official... my phone is dead. Got water damaged again (I never learn) last week when Ains was over and doesn't want to work again. Ah well, Annie is going to post me her old one.

I'm reading a book on the fabric of reality (written by a physicist) and it should make for some interesting posts this week (parallel universes, virtual reality etc). Combined with all the books on consciousness I've read lately, and my world has been pretty much turned upside down... more accurately, inside out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Ian - here's wishing you another three quarter centuries!! 100 is a ripe enough old age. Be prepared however; subsequent centuries have you living at increasingly faster warp speeds.....

I'm placing my bet on the "Best Case Scenario" occuring.

The way you describe that book on the Fabric of Reality has me wondering if it was the same one I was looking at in Chapter's last week thinking "perhaps this would be good for Ian". What's the title/author? Perhaps I'll find you something a little more left of center....

Well I think I'm on the verge of pulling the plug on this Ontario nonsense and returing to my Shangri-La (Penticton BC)- time to bump start my real life again - even if that means laying on the beach !!

Have a great B-Day.

Garry

3:21 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

Thanks for the Bday wishes.

The author of that book is David Deustch, an english physisict, and winner of multiple awards. I found it in some random used book store in Madison Wisconsin last fall... and I've been putting off reading it until I had some serious time on my hands.

wish me luck, today I call Immigration and ask politely for a work permit ;)

take care, and head back to BC.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home