June 11, 2006

a date with TOOL

Tonight's the night. Live in concert... TOOL. Had a peak at this tours setlist and it looks like we're in for a killer show. A lot of tracks from the new album, which in my humble opinion, is one of the best releases in several decades. Still no idea where I'm crashing tonight, but it'll all work itself out in the end.

Spent the last week with my parents; introducing them to Rum, the shop, the bothy, the goats, Annie, and doing tourist things like a few days in Fort William and visiting Stirling Castle. We're at a resort near Stirling for the last week, hiking and doing day trips.

Made a solo trek up Ben Nevis, the highest point in the UK at 4409ft. The brochures mentioned it takes about 6-8hrs roundtrip, so I decided 4 would be a nice target. Started walking and was powering by people enroute. Made it up in 2hrs, and the view was astounding... literally a sea of clouds in all directions. Charged by the vista and the quick ascent, I decided to run down the mountain. All said and done it took 3hrs exactly... a respectable time. Not something I could have done 6 months ago. And my legs still hurt.

Had some great news waiting for me in my inbox... I've been awarded one of the Bombardier Fellowships! At $10 000, it'll go a long way in funding my Masters. The only downside... I have 2 days to complete the paperwork (it was sent a few weeks back, but my internet access is limited).

Nae worries. Tonight it's celebration time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian,haven't talked in a while.Bette and I are off to Scotland on the 20th June arriving Edinburgh noon 21.Good to see your progress on life education and entertainment front.You can't solve world problems but you can try.Good Luck.Will try to work out some form of contact after arrival.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian.HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY.Dates as you,and ages are not my strong point.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian.HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY.Dates as you,and ages are not my strong point.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Ian - I think Armand B. will get more for his money than he bargained for.... Is it a one year deal or "renewable"?

Well your musical experience (TOOL) is slightly different than mine. This weekend was the yearly "Elvis Contest" here in Penticton. Fortunately for me they also ran the antique and vintage car event. Every hour on the hour they started up a nitro powered dragster to drown out the Elvis clones...

I feel like Norm on "Cheers" roaming around Penticton - "Garry where the hell have you been?" It's nice to be home....

Summer's almost over for you - stay focused and enjoy.

Garry

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home