April 18, 2006

train was late

Got into Waverly Station on Monday just in time to see my train bound for Glasgow pulling away. With a little convincing I had the good people at ScotRail validate my ticket for today. This left me with a few more days of good eating, CD burning, movie watching and Xbox playin'.

I been surfing the net for several hours each day now, and I've come to the conclusion that I could happily spend the rest of my life reading Wikipedia. My focus has been primarily political, with special interest paid to the ongoing crisis in Iraq and some alarming new details regarding US involvement in Iran. If you're interested, check out this article in the New Yorker by respected journalist Seymour Hersh or go here for a nice review of US-Iran relations.

I'm sure everyone is almost sick of hearing about the alleged Iranian nuclear missile program, but what I didn't know was that Iran, to date, has not violated any of the guidelines set down by the
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). Iran has also allowed more rigorous inspections of it's facilities than is mandated by the IAEA. Surely every nation should have the right to develop alternative energy sources, and if the USA and it's Western Allies are really concerned about unfriendly (ie. not pro-western) states with the bomb, why not take action against Pakistan, which has already admitted to selling plans and materials to other 'less than credible' nations? Do a search for 'Khan-for Iran' and read some of the articles that pop up (Khan being Pakistan's go-between for the deals, now under house arrest).

I'm looking forward to being back on Rum - less stress for me.

Why do I bother thinking/worrying about this stuff? It may not effect my immediate situation (goats don't care about Christian Fundamentalists, Islamic Extremists or Peak Oil) but it certainly will when I emerge from my academic bubble. Already it's been made difficult for people of Western origin to travel through some of the most beautiful and historic places on Earth. I can see it eroding civil liberties - there are no rubbish bins in any public transport system in the UK and Washington DC was awash in security personel, making travel to these areas less enjoyable. I don't want this for my generation, and least of all for my childrens... so I sit on Rum and read, arming myself with knowledge and encourage others to do the same.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1200km marks the distance between Iran and Israel. ‘Alternative energy sources’ seems a bit of a stretch in my estimation. Iran is currently sitting on more cheap and natural gas then it even knows what to do with. Its clear to most all of us that the goal of this program is not peaceful and diverse sources of energy. This is a country whose leader has been accused of flagrant human rights abuses and who continuously makes existential threats upon the State of Israel. It’s completely absurd to me that a leader who continuously calls for the annexation of Israel and loudly declares the vitality of Iran’s nuclear program can continue on without penalty. These threats on the only viable democracy in the Middle East are not empty. Hezbollah will continue to terrorize and sponsor the elimination of Israel – as we more then likely witnessed yesterday.

Principally, I understand where you’re coming from. But this isn’t tit-for-tat international politicking. The reality is that Iran is a dangerous country with a dangerous leader. It will continue to expand and hide this program, along with god knows how many others. Collective security is a nice idea – in theory.

Just my thoughts. Maybe you're right - they did brainwash me ;)Miss you!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

you have been brainwashed. Don't get me started on Israel... it's undeclared yet widely known nuclear program, flagrant human rights abuses, illegal occupations, repeated calls to nuke Iran. The only reason that state exists is because of their powerful lobby group in the good ol' U S of A.

miss you too ;)

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A government is like fire: a handy servent, but a dangerous master.
George Washington

ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)

Garry

3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home