April 30, 2006

It's been mental here on Harris since I've returned. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous. If it weren't for the ticks I'd been wearing shorts and t-shirts all the time in the field. Made that mistake early in the week and found 3 little ones crawling on my leg. No worries, they're too small to bite as it's early in the season.

We had two ceilidhs this weekend, featuring some members of the PeatBog Faeries. Friday was a little weak, too many wee ones about, but last night was solid. I had to re-neg on a promise to Emmelda (hiker here for the weekend) about climing Askival today, but it feels like something is trying to hatch out of my head.

Everyone here is gearing up for the festival, albeit at varying rates. Must be hard when the islands population spikes from 25 to 600+, but Sandy seems to have everything under control. Fliss and I decided to hold a joint birthday bash at the end of the month as our respective dates are only one day apart. May is shaping up to be a killer month.

Work related: Annie and I have moved on to another goat heft which is a little farther along the south coast. It's a lot more walking but much more entertaining, as each new goat heft has really distinct colourings. We've named the GnP goats after world cities, and the Wreck Bay ones after objects in the solar system (my favourite is Ceres, a really fluffy, white yearling). Also, after 4 months of living together, Annie and I had our first 'falling out' on Friday. It's a long story and boils down to miscommunication, but everything is all good if not better now. Suppose it had to happen sometime. And no... it wasn't all my fault.

Got two packages in the mail this week... one with a very smart Canadian flag and the other containing a bounty of Easter candy (thanks Mum and Dad ;). Kim gets quite a kick out of our faces everytime post arrives for us, but after a long week at Harris any contact with home is just about the best thing around.

Ah yes... how could I forget. The drumkit is here. Had a good whack at it Friday night, jamming some tunes with various community members, and incidently (this is for Paul), one of the best pipers in Scotland (he was playing the whistle at the time). It's not a stellar drum setup but I'm not going to look this gift horse in the mouth. I gave Annie a few lessons down at Harris on basic stick control so maybe we'll move up to the real deal this weekend.

Hope everything is going well for those back home. Exams are finished, stress levels should be dropping, work commencing... the cycle continues.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"it feels like something is trying to hatch out of my head."

You and Annie better check the bothy for pods....

Glad you're doing well - we're headed into summer here too, and it's giving me itchy feet (what's new - so the Kawasaki is getting some well deserved TLC in preparation).

Joanne and John are preparing themselves for Laura's departure to South America on thursday morning. I'm hoping I can see her off at the airport before work.

So where do 600+ people sleep on an island of 25.....

Take care
Garry

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ian, I am enjoying all your bloggins and the benefits of vicarious travel. I think I would prefer primates to goats as well. Laura just arrived in Santa Elena de Uairen Venezuela so check out the Lost World: www.thelostworld.org. The forecast is rain for the next week...ah for the rainforest. Have a wonderful birthday and keep bloggin for us so we stay connected. Love Joanne

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pal, sorry I have not posted as of late. Read over a few of the most recent posts of yours - glad to hear all is well. Preparing for the sixth edition of Brucefest, unfortunately it won't be the same without you there ... June 3rd is the date, try to have some fun on our behalf!
Ryan

2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home