April 01, 2006

thinking ahead

Been thinking about the next few months and how to fill them. I'm headed to Edinburgh for a week next Saturday, then back to Rum. We'll kill a few weeks walking back and forth to Wreck Bay (2hrs away) each day studying a new heft group. May 12-14 brings the madness of the Sound of Rum Music Festival and then a few weeks recovery time until my birthday and yet another 2 weeks in Edinburgh, Stirling and Fort William with my parents (looking forward to it). Mid June it's back on Rum for more goat action.

July/August is when it starts to get a little 'iffy'.

I would like to stay on Rum for the summer as there are several key events in the area (The Small Isles Games for example), but I'd also like to hit the European continent for several weeks since it's so close. Once my Masters starts, I'm not sure I'll have the time (I certainly won't have the money) to travel much. Either or requires a significant increase in personal income... despite my posh living conditions, goat research doesn't pay well. So, do I find a job on Rum (very limited - basically fishing of some description)? Or do I head to Edinburgh and seek employment there?

Maybe I'll purchase a lotto ticket next week...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,

As always, it was good to speak to you today. Your seemingly boring days (in your opinion)during the week are excitement to the world of the very familiar and routine.
I meant to ask you if your time changes spring and fall (not that it would have a huge impact on your daily routine other than the ferry schedule). Our clocks go ahead one hour tonight. Mary will remember the embarrassment she felt one year that we forgot to change the clocks and we arrived at church as people were getting ready to leave.

Love, Mum

P.S. I have begun to develop my list of water and wind proof clothing needed for Rum.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Well you never no with the lotto tickets , my mum got 4 numbers tonight so nice win for her. And lookin forward to you comin over , but bad week for cavalry may as well give up the points now lol.

see ya soon bud

chris

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you may have given yourself away in the first line "I'd like to stay on Rhum for the summer" !!!! :P

But you might consider limiting your trip to Europe and being very focused on one area or activity you'd most like to see. A shorter visit done more cheaply. Whether that's bicycling in southern France with a pup tent and your newly acquired "roughing it skills/tolerance", meeting a blond in Monte Carlo and spending a week on her monster boat in the habour, renting a scooter and touring the Italian Riviera hostel to hostel, or whatever....

Maybe leave Rhum just long enough to put together the funds for that shortened "bonus trip" without missing out on the things you want to do on the island.

I also do palm readings.....

Garry

2:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought us both a lottery ticket today...if we win I'll drop in with your cut - on my way around and around the world till the moneys all spent!!

Garry

2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home