March 18, 2006

Good times on Rum

Another sunny Saturday on Rum. Spent the night celebrating with the Forestry people (last night on Rum) and watching Napoleon Dynamite. I think it was after 4am when my head hit the pillow.

Came into the village on Thursday for a meeting on Habitat Restoration and was greeted with three, yes count them, three pieces of spectacular news:

1) the Isle of Rum is getting a drumkit! A 5 piece Yahama something or other complete with cymbals. I may have to import the goats to this side of the island as I am never leaving town after it arrives. Tentative plans for the Isle of Rum band are in the making... the name... 'The Rummies'... Brilliant.

2) the quad is fixed! It's already survived two trips to Harris and back. Annie and I left Friday morning to do some work. Well, she did work. I played on the beach during an exceptionally low tide, searching for weird and wonderful aquatic life. After cleaning the Bothy I decided to walk an alternative route back into Kinloch, leaving Annie the quad as she had a lot of stuff to bring. So off I went. Took about 4hrs but worth every second. Visited several new lochs along the way (Long Loch being the nicest and featuring an old damn at one end), saw some deer, and managed to get within 10' of a Golden Eagle. It was massive, and scared the sh*t out of me when it took flight. I was just wandering along, minding my own business (singing some Megadeth song) and saw movement out of the corner of my eye... and there it was. Unfortunately I was unprepared with my camera so the whole event goes undocumented. I did snap some great photos of other Rum wildlife... especially in the Shop.

3) my honors thesis is getting published!
The Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B (for Biological) has accepted our paper. Not sure what month it will be, but it's relatively soon. Sweet. Don't be afraid to run a literature search for MacDonald, I.F. :D

More to come tomorrow. Annie and I are on Shop Duty tonight (5-8pm), so it should be interesting.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Hey Ian, good to hear you've finally got sumthin to hit over there, and wht were you expecting to find on the beach, Jaws? Not in Great Britain , or anywhere near great britain, maybe Canada but not here.Good to here your things getting published , dont no exactly what you mean but it sounds good !!
This weeks i have been off school as you know and went back on Thursday as i am currently sittin my Standard Grade Prelim Exams , little nervous but i got brains duuude! Big Hearts game this sunday , Hearts v Rangers , want to go but cant as i am playing against Tweedmouth tomrrow. Shame.
Anyway tal kto you later man hope to see you soon
chris

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian, got to admit it's the first time I've read your blog. Sounds like you're doing quite well. Glad to hear that. I was just sitting at my General store here at Kicking Horse (3900 ft above sea level) reading a new Blender issue. In it I found out that Jack White, of the White Stripes, is in the process of making an album as part of a full band. Look for The Raconteurs.

2:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man, glad you're well. your bird senses must be a little rusty. congrats on getting published. unfortunately i'm only keeping track of acceptances which occur when you are in north america, so we are both still at 0-0.

I look forward to some pics, and take it easy with that new drum set, you'll have the goats swimming for the mainland

take care sir
~ed

3:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,
We have been meaning to ask you if the beard came off once the camera arrived and self photos were taken. Also, who has to get up to tend the "raeburn" this week?
We are looking forward to any photos that can be posted.
Garry's right. Spring is coming but as usual the wind and snow tell us otherwise.
When do Annie's friends arrive on the island?
We miss you! Love Mum

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Ian! Just for fun celebrate with a drink or two or three. Like I had to even suggest it right?

2:05 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

oh... we celebrated. I have the pictures to prove it. And there is another Ceiladh on Friday featuring some members of Croft # 5.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home